Wednesday, September 23, 2009

...now, a summary of the last few days.




Well, it happend; I finally got sick in Russia. Now, I'd had a cold for the last five or six days, but nothing major...then yesterday, I woke up with a violent headache. God, it felt like there was a little man inside my skull whacking away at my brain with a sledgehammer. I probably slept close to fourteen hours yesterday, and had to drink one hell of a lot of ТЕРАФЛЮ (that's Theraflu in Cyrillic, haha). In any case, I woke up feeling much better today, and even my cold seems to be gone...mostly.

This weekend was considerably more interesting, involving a trip to Peter the Great's royal palace of Peterhof (nicknamed "the Versailles of Russia") on Saturday, despite the rotten weather. Sunday was considerably nicer, and I spent the day with a couple of new friends from the program travelling around the general area of Nevsky Prospekt.

Unfortunately, because I did NOT charge my computer battery, that's really all the information I have time for at the moment....I'll elaborate further on it tomorrow, I promise.

Here's a few pics of Peterhof to tide you over until I do:

Grand Cascade of Peterhof

Samson Fountain

A sample of Peterhof's elaborate landscaping

The Gulf of Finland, viewed from the terrace of Monplasir Palace

Because no Russian photo montage is complete without some onion domes :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh no, I had a cold last week too!! I felt like crap for 3 days and had this awful cough for at least a week. I'm glad you're better, keep drinking that flu drink and also lots of vitamin c! (I chugged orange juice like a madwoman)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're feeling better now. I agree with Helen, get lots and lots of vitamin C in you.

    Peterhof looks absolutely gorgeous. Peter the Great sure loved a bit of gold though, didn't he? Did you get to go inside as well? Is it just as opulent in there?

    ReplyDelete