Friday, September 18, 2009

My First Taste of Russian Cold.....


So the other day I went shopping at Lenta, which is the Russian equivalent of Walmart/Target....got myself a pair of running shoes, some undershirts, a leather jacket and a beer (Byeliy Medved, which tastes like crud but came in a cool bottle) for approximately $130.00. I LOVE THIS EXCHANGE RATE.

...anyway, I figured that I'd try to get in some exercise to counteract all the butter I've been ingesting recently, and went for a run yesterday morning before class. BIG. MISTAKE.

You see, because the previous day had been warm, I assumed that yesterday would be similar, and thus I wore gym shorts. I was wrong; it was windy, overcast and absolutely freeeeeeeeeeeeezing...also, I was running in the city, which I've never done before, and spent half my time dodging pedestrians who gave me the strangest of looks...apparently, Russians don't go running in the morning, or at least they're smart enough not to do it in shorts.

Today, I might be going to the Russian Museum for a little....if they let me take photos, I'll be sure to post some for all of you!

Also, the picture at the top is from last wek's excursion to Peter & Paul Fortress...more about that later!

2 comments:

  1. Whoa, you bought a leather jacket! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we trade exchange rates please?

    Hahaha, I can imagine all the Russians thought you were crazy. I mean, the butter's so you can fatten up and survive the Russian winter, right?

    ReplyDelete