Thursday, October 29, 2009

Post-Tallin Happenings (Excluding Swan Lake)

Since my computer is close to dying, and I cannot presently locate my charger, the following, like one of its predecessors, will be presented in bullet form.
  • My Hermitage internship is going well; I've been busy translating stuff for their English newsletter from the original Russian. It's tedious work, but what internship isn't?
  • I saw the Museum of Political History, with its truly massive collection of old Soviet propaganda posters, as well as the room which was Vladimir Lenin's former study, maintained almost exactly as he left it.
  • I visited the Artillery Museum, where one can see the vehicles, arms, and munitions used by the Russian and Soviet armies from the first millenia to the present day. (pictures later!)
  • I ate at a Kroshka Kartoshka, the potato-based Russian fast food chain, which truly has no American equivalent...the baked potato with cheese was truly amazing, although incredibly filling (like most Russian dishes, unfortunately).
  • I also had my first experience with Russian vodka and Russians....I won't go into the details (especially since I can't remember most of them, anyway), but long story short, I woke up around noon the following day, feeling like I'd been kicked in the face with an iron boot.
Tomorrow, assuming I can upload my photos, I will do my best to narrate my experience the other night when I went to see a performance of Swan Lake (Лебедное Озеро) at the world-famous Mariinsky Theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment